Eligibility Criteria for West Bengal Civil Services Examination – Education, Age Limit
Required Academic/Educational Qualification to Appear in WBCS (Exe) & Etc Services Examination of Public Service Commission, West Bengal – Eligibility Criteria for WBCS Aspirants
A candidate must have the following qualifications which should be clearly stated in the application. The qualifications prescribed in the advertisement are as per the notified recruitment rules issued by Govt. Candidates must fulfill the essential qualifications by the closing date.
- A degree of a recognized University.
- Ability to read, write and speak Bengali (not required for recruitment in the case of candidates from hill areas of the district of Darjeeling, i.e. for Nepali speaking candidates).
- Age not below 21 years but not more than 32 years on the 1st January of the year of examination
- The candidate must be - (a) A citizen of India (either natural or by registration), or (b) Such other nationals as declared eligible by the Govt.
- Provided that a candidate belonging to category (b) shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government.
- A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary may be admitted to the examination but the offer of appointment may be given only after the necessary eligibility certificate has been issued to him by the Government.
- Good health and character and suitability in all respects for appointment to Government service.
Age Limits (Minimum & Maximum Age Range) in West Bengal Civil Service Exam (WBCS Aspirants)
As per the guideline provided by the Public Service Commission, West Bengal the age not below 21 years but not more than 32 years on the 1st January of the year of examination for services and posts included in Group ‘A’,’C’ and ‘D’ (i.e. born not earlier than the 2nd January, 1981 and not later than the 1st January, 1992). For the West Bengal Police Service only (i.e. Group ‘B’ Service) age not below 20 years but not more than 32 years on the 1st January of the year of examination (i.e. born not earlier than the 2nd January, 1981 and not later than the 1st January, 1993).
Concession in age for WBCS Aspirants belonging to Schedule Caste, (SC) Scheduled Tribe (ST), Other Backward Classes (OBC) Candidates
The upper age limit is relaxable for S.C., S.T. & B.C. candidates of West Bengal, by 5 years for S.C. & S.T. candidates and by 3 years for B.C. candidates. In the case of Persons with Disabilities (PWD), the upper age limit is relaxable upto 45 years. S.C./S.T./B.C. candidates of other States shall be treated as general candidates.
Note : Age as recorded only in the Madhyamik or equivalent certificate will be accepted. The age limits apply to all candidates whether in Government Service or not.